Search This Blog

Sunday 27 February 2011

My Mission

So ladies, I know I'm not the only one out there who has self image issues, everyone has their problems with how they look, their body type, their weight, we can see anything as a problem for us.

Personally, I have never been a small girl, I have envied those who are, those toned ladies who are naturally slender, or those who work at it. I lack the time, confidence and motivation to go to the gym, so I try my hardest to eat well and get as much exercise as possible, which granted is much easier now I have a 14 month old to run after, but still I will never be skinny.

However I am very curvy, my measurements are 45-37-48, (bust, waist, hips in inches) as you can see there is a big difference between my waist and hip measurements, which means buying trousers is very difficult and often quite upsetting for me. I am an hourglass shape, which whilst considered 'desirable' by many, I find very difficult to live with. Even when buying tops I have to very carefully consider the material of the tops I'm looking at.

Clothes shopping is not something I enjoy and the main reason, above all these nigglings things, is the sizing in shops.

I remember when I was younger, a small was a 10-12, a medium was a 14-16 and a large was a 16-18. That's as much wiggle room as I ever remember.

Over the years these have swung wildly from one extreme to the other and I for one am sick of it.

I believe that shops should be forced, by trading standards to use a set of measurements, derived from the ACTUAL average taken from women across the country.

I believe that no one should feel uncomfortable going into any shop.

I believe that shops catered towards the short, tall, curvy, slender women should actually cater towards those body types, not just the so called 'ideal' amongst them.

I believe that when we buy a 16 in one shop, it should measure the same as the 16 we bought in the previous shop.

I believe we deserve honest sizes.

And above all -

I believe that no matter what your size, no matter what your body type, you should feel comfortable with yourself.


I know this is an issue that hits home with so many women across the country and even the globe and it is not asking a lot for some better labeling and honest sizes.

So what do I want to do about it? Well for starters I'd like to get you beautiful ladies sending in a snapshot of your gorgeous selves, holding a card/sign/scrap piece of paper up with your measurements in inches on.

I know I'm asking something that many will not be comfortable with but I want you to understand that I know how difficult this will be for many ladies out there and I feel the same. So to take the first step, here is my snapshot


If we can get a large enough number of us, showing that women have varied shapes and sizes and that we will no longer stand for shops insulting our intelligence with their falsified sizing, perhaps we can get noticed.

Please, please, please help me with this mission, it's not just about easier shopping, it's about making ourselves feel as gorgeous as we are, because no one should avoid certain shops due to embarrassment (like myself), or have to buy a 14 in this shop and a 20 in that one.

We make clothes look good, not the other way around!

No comments:

Post a Comment